Sunday, July 20, 2014

Honesty is Alive and Well

Now that we are about three weeks into the summer, I decided to stop by school to catch up on mail, deliveries etc. It turned out to be a very interesting day. In my box of mail, there was a rather thick and rather well-taped box which bore a return address from West Virginia. When I said it was well-taped, I meant really secure. Of course I was suspicious, since 1. I never ordered anything from West Virginia, 2. I had no idea who the person was who send this package, 3. The news makes us concerned about strange packages. Once it was opened, I was surprised to see a library book which was stamped with our school's name, and a note which read:

Well thank you, Ed! You were honest enough to take the time to wrap up our book and send it back home. (We are Ridgefield Park, not Ridgeview Park) The book had last been renewed in 1969 and cost $5.95. Copyright: 1937. I was reminded of the Seinfeld episode in which Jerry has a book which is decades overdue, and the library sends a man name Bookman to collect the outstanding fee.

This event proved to me that there are still honest people out there. Oh, and by the way, Ed, when a late fee exceeds the price of the book, we don't charge the late fee; just the price it will cost us to replace the book. Thank you again for taking the time to send the book back to New Jersey!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddToAny